On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:59:53 +0100
Mike Pall <mikelu-0911@mike.de> wrote:

> Anders Bergh wrote:
> > Actually, quite a few Linux distributions do not support 32-bit
> > compilation in their 64-bit versions, and configuring gcc to do this
> > is kind of painful when your system can't compile 32-bit code...
>
> IMHO non-multilib x64 distros are the exception rather than the
> norm. I wouldn't use such a distro, for sure.

Debian and Ubuntu have hacky and basically unusable i386 support in
their AMD64 editions.  They have a handful of i386 libraries for
running the odd thing, mostly packages they ship which are not
AMD64-compatible.

And that's fine.  The only 32 bit thing I want to run is LuaJIT, so
it's hardly a big thing.  And the joy I'd get from running LuaJIT
wouldn't offset the displeasure I'd get from running an i386 edition,
or using Fedora (which does have passable multi-arch support.)

B.