Sam Roberts wrote:
> What do people use complex numbers for?

In my own work I've used them for discrete systems (FFTs, signal
processing, etc.). I've also used them for fun many times, just for
exploring various transformations. And I've seen them used in some
physics domains, too (can't say I'm an expert in QM, though).

A generalization of complex numbers, quaternions, turns out to be good
for smoothly rotating objects. So quaternions are used in many graphics
libraries. Check it out at the Wikipedia [1]; it's pretty cool stuff.
And if you have a mathematical bent, check out octonions, too [2,3].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternions
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octonions
[3] http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/octonions/octonions.html

Doug

The information contained in this email transmission may contain proprietary and business
sensitive information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly
prohibited.  Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a violation of law.  If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and immediately destroy all
copies of the original message.

Any technical data and/or information provided with or in this email may be subject to U.S.
export controls law.  Export, diversion or disclosure contrary to U.S. law is prohibited.
Such technical data or information is not to be exported from the U.S. or given to any foreign
person in the U.S. without prior written authorization of Elbit Systems of America and the
appropriate U.S. Government agency.