Roberto's talk at the 2008 Lua Workshop gives a nice summary:

http://www.vimeo.com/1485123

LPEG patterns can be composed and abstracted away, so building a
complex pattern is much more like programming. LPEG's re module is
specially nice for the kinds of pattern for which you would use PCRE.

--
Fabio