Thanks, using -m32 worked. I don't know if there is a better way to do it, but I made two changes in the Makefiles First I added macosx10.6 as a platform (to Makefile and src/Makefile), then I added to src/Makefile:

macosx10.6:
	$(MAKE) all MYCFLAGS="-DLUA_USE_LINUX -m32"

and changed line 90 in src/Makefile to:
	$(CC) $(MYCFLAGS) -o $@ $(MYLDFLAGS) $(LUA_O) $(LUA_A) $(LIBS)
from:
	$(CC) -o $@ $(MYLDFLAGS) $(LUA_O) $(LUA_A) $(LIBS)

I guess the bad part is the last compilation bit has -DLUA_USE_LINUX being passed to it that may break things on other platforms? Seems to work OK for me though.