Hi lua-l,

Some of you may know that the Berlios hosting facility has had some
issues lately.  The latest breakdown prompted the GPSd project to look
for other hosting services, and in the process the lead dev wrote a
really interesting email to the gpsd-users mailing list concerning
project hosting providers which is relevant to LuaForge I think:

https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/gpsd-users/2009-October/004000.html

The short of it is: project hosting providers could make it easier to
get at your own data.  As a tangential point, hosting providers like
LuaForge could make it easier for third parties to mirror their data
as well.

For example, as a part of the recovery of the GPSd project it turned
out to be quite useful to have mirrors of the SVN repos, so in the end
it only took a few days to splice the entire history of the project
back together.  On the other end of the spectrum, freedesktop.org
recently lost its entire set of user repositories and related on-web
content due to a disk crash, and it looks like most of what was lost
won't be coming back.

Back in the FTP days it was easy(ish) to set mirrors up, but now with
the various *Forge-wiki-media-web-thingys it's not so obvious anymore.
So for a future LuaForge it would be awesome if mirroring of it would
be an easy thing to do.  I'm certain people would mirror it if it
could be done easily.

Concerning the hub-of-links idea, I think this might work for
LuaForge, but also want to remind that links on the internet are by
nature pretty ephemeral.  As some sort of protection against the
primary sites going down, it would be great if LuaForge-The-Hub would
also provide for caching/mirroring of the actual downloadable goods in
case upstream disappears (which it probably will in a link driven
site.)  As a salient example, consider how often the mirroring of
papers done by sites like citeseer is a lifesaver when the authors'
sites go away.  Quite often citeseer is now the primary web source for
some of these articles!

Best Regards,

Joonas