On Oct 1, 2009, at 1:11 AM, Jacques Chester wrote:

I do realize that this argument is going against nearly 15 years of Common Gateway Interface indoctrination :D

I've argued similar things before in other forums (that
apps in future might embed their own HTTP handling). But
I didn't see it being a case of using a pure Lua, pure
Ruby, pure Python etc solution.

HTTP handling is not very resource consuming. It's what you do with it which takes time. Irrespectively of implementation details.

Rather I expected folk
would settle on some fast, easily wrapped C library.
One that looks nice is Libebb[1].

I would settle on a simple, battle proof library for MIME handling. Not very interested in a full stack network run loop though.

But as I pointed out, (F|S)CGI isn't a performance tool.
Its purpose is to abstract the web server away from the
application. For a lot of people, that matters.

More power to them!

I am happy in this case to agree to (partly) disagree.

Hmmm... right... ok :))