On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Petite Abeille <petite_abeille@mac.com> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2009, at 1:02 PM, steve donovan wrote:
>
>> Like Xavante ;) ?
>
> Hmmm... well... Xavante, in its current shape at least, is more of an
> application (i.e. a standalone HTTP server) than a library (i.e. an embedded
> HTTP engine).

Technically Xavante is a library. :-) I attached a script that
launchers orbit apps using just Xavante, without the need for the
whole Kepler stack and configuration.

You are correct that it is not as well-factored as HTTP.lua, but the
changes to abstract away the I/O to use either files or sockets
wouldn't be difficult. Repurposing Xavante to use a threading library
instead of Copas is not hard, either. I did it once to use a
cooperative threading library that I wrote using Alien and libevent as
an experiment, and Bruno Silvestre did it to use a m+n threading
library that he wrote.

I want to rip the guts out of Xavante and make it "speak" WSAPI
natively instead of its own internal API, and make the front-end more
modular, too, but I never seem to get around and do it. :-) But it is
a very stable web server; http://luarocks.org is a Sputnik running
under Xavante, with Apache proxying to it, and the uptime of Xavante
is measured in *months*.

--
Fabio Mascarenhas, Lablua
http://www.lua.inf.puc-rio.br