Bogdan Marinescu wrote:
Possible? Definitely. Practical? I don't know ... Unless you can find a way to do other things in hardware too, like floating point operations (OK, this one isn't that hard), garbage collection, fast table accesses and others, the whole thing won't probably do much in terms of speed.

Yeah, a bit hard to justify stuffing something like that into an FPGA... it's neither here nor there. Many opcodes will have to be trapped and run as short routines.

There was picoJava and friends though, but all the stand-alone implementations of Java on silicon have been wiped out and assimilated by ARM+Jazelle.

If it was an FPGA, I'd rather grab an ARM soft core, add a fast memory interface and go about porting LuaJIT into the system... :-)

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Pierre LeMoine wrote:

    2009/9/16 Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo:
     >> Is there a good reference on what the lua compiler outputs for
    bytecode;
     >> I'm interested in knowing what codes there are and their general
    mode of
     >> operation.
     >
     > See a summary in
     >        http://www.lua.org/source/5.1/lopcodes.h.html#OP_MOVE
     >
     > Also, use luac -l to see bytecode listings.

    I've not looked into it(as i dont have a lot of free time), so i'll
    just ask here; would it be possible to make a processor which executes
    those lua-bytecodes, for example in vhdl? =)

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)