2009/9/14 Andrea D'Amore <and.damore@gmail.com>:
> On 10/set/09, at 11:00, Jerome Vuarand wrote:
>> People (not you, obviously) often don't understand the Lua module
>> system very well.
>
> I don't, for instance. But I'd like to understand it more.
>
>> Not that long ago we had yet another verbose discussion on this
>> mailing list
>
> I'm gonna search in ml archive but can you point me to a further reference?
> Is it the "Packages" chapter of PiL?

The second edition has a chapter about it (and that chapter is
available online at http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/pil2/).

Also the Lua Programming Gems book contains information about the
package system. For example the last gem (I wrote it) is about
searchers and how to add new ones.

All the information is in the manual in a condensed form, feel free to
ask questions on this mailing list.