2009/9/8 Juris Kalnins <juris@mt.lv>:
> On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 14:27:40 +0300, Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but with curses I can spend my time writing the application
>> rather than the terminal interaction. As far as I'm concerned, this is
>> already a solved problem. (Plus the fact that ncurses's maintainer is
>> responsive helps.)
>>

> If that is the case, then by al means ignore my mail. Not having to deal
> with
> things like broken MacOS X Terminal.app scroll regions or windows telnet
> antics or rxvt function keys or nonstadard linux terminal escape sequence
> encoding etc. etc. + having it all to actually work is a big win.
>
> On the other hand - printing raw escape sequences is fun.

I agree it can be fun, but for those of us who don't find it so, it's
surely better to contribute to cross-platform libraries that hide the
gory details than to code terminal support into individual apps. (As
you can see, my preference is to improve ncurses, but I understand
that some people consider curses an abomination and there's certainly
room for alternative APIs.)

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org
Too late: it’s like sticking plasters on a coffin