I can see where George is coming from. Personally, I have good Lua
skills, and enough C to get my data into my Lua program (though I
pretty much have to relearn C every time I try it). What is way harder
for me is the compiling stage. I just can't get my head around
dependencies, object files, headers, makefiles and (most annoyingly)
error messages that might as well be written in Sumerian cuneform,
even if I follow the author’s instructions to the letter.

This is why I use an OSX binary if it's available. From what people
have said above, I promise to appreciate binaries more from now on.

Vaughan