On 17/08/2009 14:58, steve donovan wrote:
There is at least one pure Java implementation of Lua (Kahlua) which
I'm aware of.  Their niche is smart phones.

Yes, looks like a viable solution as the JVM isn't too bad and has its own JIT compiler (HotSpot if I am not mistaken).

I wonder if Kahlua can benefit of new Java 7 JVM improvements for dynamic languages...

Although I don't know/recall if Kahlua is generating Java bytecode out of Lua code or if it is interpreting Lua bytecode with its own Lua interpreter. In the latter case, it might not gain as much a performance boost from HotSpot nor latest features.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France