Rob Kendrick wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:29:18 -0300
"Saulo Tauil" <saulot@muitofaciltec.com.br> wrote:

The terminals have little memory, low cpu clock and lack of space.

Given that compiled Lua is often /larger/ than the source, you may
find that leaving the compiler in and gzipping and/or using something
like LuaSrcDiet saves more space, depending on your exact circumstances.

The portability of uncompiled code is a security issue too, since I
want avoid code manipulation by third party. Initially this
precompiled code will be remotely transferred to the terminals.

Compiled Lua offers no security advantages beyond preventing casual
snooping.  Anybody who wants to break it will.  And quite easily.

I think he means one of those lower-end 32-bit ARMs. They probably have about 8-32KB internal SRAM. Everything runs on-chip, and the program memory can probably be protected. You can upload your programs as firmware, with a bootstrapper that can probably include some sort of security encryption. Can't really do the compilation or interpretation front-end on-chip.

There are at least two broad kinds of ARM MCUs, and I don't believe Saulo is talking about the kind that can run Linux.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)