I'd like to make a point that such GC-avoiding optimizations only make sense (imho) when matrices are rather small in size. That is, when the pure mathematical time taken does not grow essential.

Or am I wrong?

We're currently using Lua for matrix calculations with matrix sizes around 50x60 to 500x600. Operations are SSE optimized, but we do not do any operation merging or GC avoidance.

- asko