Thanks; You rock, Fabio. Much respect.

Phoenix Sol

On Jul 9, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Fabio Mascarenhas <mascarenhas@acm.org> wrote:

Phoenix,

I just found out about LGMP
(http://members.chello.nl/~w.couwenberg/lgmp.htm), I think it is a
nice solution for representing 64-bit integers in Lua if you want to
hack something up quickly, as it has both arithmetic and bitwise ops
if you want to hack something up quickly. If you want to do it by
modifying Alien I suggest you check out the head at
http://github.com/mascarenhas/alien/tree/master, as I did some
refactoring of Alien's code that makes adding new types a little
easier.

The way I will do it for Alien when I get around to implemeting this,
though, is to use a 64-bit long userdata, and have bitops as methods
of this userdata's __index metamethod (plus conversion to and from
strings, and arithmetic/relational metamethods, of course).

--
Fabio Mascarenhas