> can someone point me to where it says, on the official documentation,
> that a space is OK between a function name and the bracket which
> starts the arguments?

Whitespace is not mentioned at all in the reference manual. It is implicit
in the BNF at the end that Lua is a free-form language that deals with tokens
and that whitespace is not relevant except where needed to separate tokens.
Perhaps the manual should be explicit about it, given that whitespace is
significant in some languages (e.g., Python).