steventidwell@yahoo.com wrote:
.. What I would like to know is if anyone has any good explanations
of how to set up event triggers using Lua. ...

You might want to take a look at the Game Programming section of Lua Programming Gems, particularly chapters 21 "A Dynamic and Flexible Event System for Script-Driven Games" and 23 "Designing an Efficient Lua Driven Game Scripting Engine".

http://www.lua.org/gems/

I do not have my copy of the book with me so I cannot say whether or not they address your needs exactly, but you're sure to find many things of interest in the book.

Since you're familiar with the WoW API (I am not), then perhaps you could model yours after that. As noted earlier, it is the most used Lua embedding in the universe (to date).

Also, there are many different projects publicly available. Check out the Lua forge and the wiki, particularly:

http://luaforge.net/
http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaAddons
http://lua-users.org/wiki/BindingCodeToLua

Lastly, a Google search may turn up open source projects that use Lua with C++. My first hit was this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/558446/which-open-source-programs-are-good-examples-of-integrating-c-and-lua

I saw good commentary in:

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47805

Good luck!

Doug

The information contained in this email transmission may contain proprietary and business sensitive information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and immediately destroy all copies of the original message.

Any technical data and/or information provided with or in this email may be subject to U.S. export controls law. Export, diversion or disclosure contrary to U.S. law is prohibited. Such technical data or information is not to be exported from the U.S. or given to any foreign person in the U.S. without prior written authorization of Elbit Systems of America and the appropriate U.S. Government agency.