I had some luck with using a NAN value with a metatable for numbers. So now I have:
NIL+x -> NIL
NIL[x] -> NIL
NIL[x]=5 -> no error
#NIL -> 0
NIL>20 -> false

But I'm still having 2 problems:

1) NIL==NIL gives false. That's because the __eq metamethod is not being called for numbers at all, and normally NAN!=NAN. Is there a trick to get this to work? It is important because otherwise there is no convenient way to detect when the value is really NIL. Basically I want to do:
if (obj.mass==NIL) ...

2) Since I'm replacing the __index and __newindex for numbers, when I try to index a regular number I'm getting:
bad argument #1 to '?' (can't index a number value)

instead of the nicer standard message produced by the luaG_typeerror function:
attempt to index global 'a' (a number value)

Is there a way to use the luaG_typeerror myself? It requires a const TValue * argument and I don't know how to get it in my function.

Ivo

Duncan Cross wrote:
Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to get what you want
without a custom modification of Lua, in a way that could potentially
make comparisons slightly slower.

The only thing I'd mention is that you could use "or" to specify a
default - instead of the cumbersome 'if obj.mass and obj.mass > 20'
you could do 'if (obj.mass or 0) > 20'.

-Duncan