Robert Raschke wrote:

> I've gone and hacked the bit in the lua code that is used to load code
> to ignore the silly BOM that M$ insists in introducing into text
> files.

Silly or not, it's a valid option in a UTF-8 file, according to
the Unicode standard:

  In UTF-8, the BOM corresponds to the byte sequence <EF16 BB16 BF16>.
  Although there are never any questions of byte order with UTF-8 text,
  this sequence can serve as signature for UTF-8 encoded text where the
  character set is unmarked.

So, a system claiming it can understand UTF-8 files must be able to
handle the BOM somehow (like ignoring it).

Javier
http://www.tex-tipografia.com