2009/5/28 David Manura <dm.lua@math2.org>:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM, M Joonas Pihlaja wrote:
>> Can Lua 5.2 have ./?/init.lua in the default package.path?
>
> Or remove the init.lua thing entirely [1].
>
> [1] http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2009-04/msg00389.html

I'm in favour of removing init.lua as well, mainly for the reasons in
the first half of this link (which was linked to from David Manura's
link):

http://lists.luaforge.net/pipermail/kepler-project/2007-May/000854.html

Basically:
1) supporting init.lua does not ensure a clean root lib directory,
since there will always be top-level modules which do not need to be
in a subdirectory.
2) given that having init.lua does not solve any problem (see 1), it
is best to take the simplest and least confusing approach.

    Henk