Benjamin Tolputt <btolputt@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> This issue keeps coming up. While there appears to be some support for
> decimal escape to remain - there is almost universal support amongst
> developers using strings for device control / comms for the hex
> sequence to be added.
> I know we can all patch our own distros, but is there any reason why
> we cannot include hex characters in the standard distribution of Lua?

Yes, please.

Adding hex escape sequences -- besides being useful in their own right
-- would be an elegant workaround for the decimal-octal confusion caused
by the current escape sequences.  While using decimal certainly has
benefits, it _is_ a point of confusion in a world where an overwhelming
majority of escape sequences with that syntax use octal (but it's almost
certainly too late to change it).

-Miles

--
White, adj. and n. Black.