Thanks for all of the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

My teammate spent a full night debugging this issue.  Put your helmets
on because this will blow you away xD.

The issue was Direct3D.  Apparently, our project ran fine under
OpenGL.  However, Direct3D caused it to break given the identical Lua
code.  After his night-of-debugging (NOD), making the Direct3D device
use consistent floating point instead of fast floating points (doubles
instead of floats) fixed it.  I have no clue how this issue resulted
in "invalid key to 'next'" O_o