To respond to your original mail:

- "make" itself does not clobber files maintained by apt-get or others. Be restful, and try it. You will be unnecessarily limiting your choices if sticking to LuaRocks only (also, LR might not have the latest versions of all the modules)

- don't do "make install". Study the Makefile, and copy necessary files (.so and maybe some .lua) to the appropriate folders. You can even have them under your user account root, say ~/lua and make LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH point there. The mechanism is easy and efficient.

Having re-read the mail, I realize the "microcomputer" isn't the one showing the graphics. Therefore, let me change my recommendation to IUP / LuaGnome (though I've used neither). Cairo alone does not have event handlers, which would be needed for interaction with the graphics. If it were output only, Cairo itself is more than enough.

Personally, I will be going the SVG + JavaScript road on such.

-asko