Asko Kauppi wrote:

> My preference for Lua & graphics is Cairo.  There are multiple bindings
> even for this (one for Lua's curses, I must say).

You might want to have a look at Scrupp [1]. The next version will
include the cairo binding by Geoff Richards [2] and LuaSocket by Diego
Nehab [3]. These new parts are currently in svn only and not documented,
yet.

In general, Scrupp is a cross-platform 2D engine which uses SDL and
OpenGL for visualization. The svn contains examples of how to use the
cairo binding to create images and how to display them using Scrupp. [4]
shows one of the examples.

Andreas

[1] http://scrupp.sf.net
[2] http://www.daizucms.org/lua/library/oocairo (domain seems to have
expired, but the documentation and source code is included in scrupp svn)
[3] http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~diego/professional/luasocket/
[4]
http://scrupp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scrupp/trunk/examples/cairo/simple-example.slua?revision=45