Hello,

My advice would be to use the FLTK toolkit :
http://www.fltk.org

It is very efficient, lightweight, and
it offers widgets like analog meters etc.
There is a nice 1D plotting library (only
1 small cpp file...) on top of FLTK, called
Cartesian :

http://rfltk.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rfltk/cartesian/

It is very easy to add file descriptors watching
(select) within the GUI main loop. It helps
a lot for sockets. Of course, other toolkits
probably offers the same kind of features.

As far as I know there are some Lua bindings
for FLTK. However, it might be more efficient
to write the GUI code in C++, and to exchange
data using the Lua C API if you don't really
need GUI objects to be exported on the Lua
side (do you see what I mean ?).

My 2 cents,
cheers,
Matias.