Hi!

This may not be the right place to ask, but some people reading here
may have experienced the same problem and know what I'm talking
about...

So, hopefully someone on this list has insight about the behavior of
the MS Windows (XP) console regarding UTF-8 encoded data.

The windows console does work with UTF-8 if the “codepage” is set to
the value 65001, apparently (command chcp 65001). I used lue5.1.exe
from luabinaries.luaforge.net for a test (and a self-built lua.exe)
with the command

> print’é’

This made the interpreter exit immediately, without any message.

Do you have any idea what’s happening here?

Executing a script file containing the command above (encoded in
UTF-8) works perfectly in the console…

I tried to discuss this on
microsoft.public.win32.programmer.international. See the thread
'Reading UTF-8 input from the console'
(http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.international/browse_thread/thread/e38aa923a32c20f9/1a3fa3c367732a76#1a3fa3c367732a76).

Regards,
Matthias