On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:21 PM, John Hind <john.hind@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> I couldn't agree more! XML was a nice, simple, intuitive thing until the
> database mob got their baroque little minds round it and transformed it into
> a horrendous mess of ill-thought-out complexity!

Gosh, and there I was thinking I was the only one with unkind thoughts
about standards people. Perhaps they don't have enough work to do or
something.  I'm currently reading IEEE standards and the mind needs to
be taken for a walk every now and then!

Apropos of the original question, luaexpat can be told not to be
strict. It includes a little Lua module, lom.lua, which produces a
very nice representation of the XML (or PBD) as a Lua table.  LuaXML
does the same, except it has its own table format. The wonderful thing
about standards, as the late great Grace Hopper said, is that there's
so many to choose from.

Answering my own question about DOM implementations, there's a binding
to PugXML:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaXml

Not a difficult job in pure Lua, using luaexpat/luaXML, but it would
require me to read a W3C standard ;)

steve d.