On Mar 19, 2009, at 12:49 AM, Joshua Jensen wrote:

Can the authors tell me what makes one better than the other? Does Lua-SQLite support more SQLite 3 features, because it is newer?

Probably, but if it is a feature you don't need it doesn't matter.

The history of luasqlite is that Tiago and I each had a sqlite (v2.x) library, and we combined efforts for sqlite3. At the time we felt we got the feature set "right," at least for us. Thomas Lauer contributed most of the documentation, and I massaged it and converted it to POD format. We tend to update the library when we need it for projects, which most recently, but not very recently, has been my doing.

* Lua-Sqlite3 has a more convenient (IMHO) interface where I can write things like stmt:bind(valueA, valueB):exec(). The equivalent in Lua-SQLite is 3 statements: stmt:bind_values(valueA, valueB); stmt:step(); stmt:reset().

It is difficult to find a good balance between convenience and robustness. Chaining prepare, bind, execute, reset is convenient, but omits error checking and recovery. My projects are usually production applications, and error recovery and reporting are critical, so the convenience stuff is not so important to me. Nevertheless I spent some time making sure that one-off queries were fairly easy, and that the prepared-statements used were cleaned up properly depending on whether they are persistent or transient statements.

Both sqlite libraries (and others) are being used regularly. Perhaps others on the mailing list will have reasons for choosing one over another. I use luasqlite because it does what I need and I am more familiar with it.