On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Fabien <fleutot+lua@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Limin Fu <phoolimin@gmail.com> wrote:
 But I just want to point out the connection between Dao and Lua is strong

The useful (and therefore considerate) way to make your post relevant to the Lua mailing-list readership would have been to build it around the following statement:

 Here are the problems, which I will argue are not addressed adequately by Lua, and might be better solved by using Dao: <fill the blank>.

It's great to know that Lua  brought a lot of solutions to you, but what we might be interested  in is what new solutions you bring to the Lua community. As you have experienced in other mailing lists, failing to do that will make you be catalogued as a spammer.

I learned from my experience in other mailing lists, so I did add two sentences to mention the connection between Lua and Dao, but I didn't expected it was not sufficient:(

Actually I tried to avoid to say something like Dao is better than X language in Y aspects in a mailing list, because I am afraid it will start a war:)

Since you have asked on this point, I just make a short answer:)

Dao is probably useful for people need more language features than Lua offered, while not sacrificing efficiency offered by Lua. The speed of Dao is comparable to Lua, sometimes faster, sometime slower, depends on the type of computation.

Actually at this moment, there is a rule of thumb to know when Dao is faster and when Lua is faster, namely, when there is frequent function calls, Lua will be faster, otherwise, Dao will be faster.

So it is upto your needs to decide, I am not persuading you;)

--
Limin Fu

http://www.daovm.net