Hello Mauro, it works!

For the record, I had a left a period (!) on the end of the file  qtcore.so
when trying to run t1.lua the current directory, otherwise that WOULD have worked.

find /usr -name QtCore
showed:
/usr/include/qt4/Qt/QtCore
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/QtCore
/usr/share/sip/PyQt4/QtCore

Putting the *.so files in /usr/local/share/lua/5.1 didn't work,
but putting them in /usr/local/lib/lua/5.1 does.

Thanks again for your help, and all the work on producing lqt.
Now I can use the best language with the best toolkit!

Molte grazie!