I did a quick, nonreliable test, and it took about 14 times longer with a C hook. Also, another problem I thought of: what if the script makes an IO call?It'll still block...

It is a problem - your whole C library needs to either have a guaranteed worse case time (even Lua's standard library doesn't offer this, string/io/table libraries can take a long time performing their various functions) or check the debug hooks themselves.

- Alex