Imagine for a minute what would happen *if* tables automatically had a
{__index = table} metatable:
* Checks like "if getmetatable(t) == nil then" to see if a table has a
metatable would fail
* Tables which contained members like "sort" and "concat" would cause
code which used the t:sort() syntax to fail
* All tables would have fields like "sort" and "concat" by default,
causing code like "t.sort = t.sort or 'ascending'" to fail

In short, it would cause more problems that it would solve.