I can see what you are both saying but I came from code like this:

string.fred = function (s)
return s..s
end

a = "xxx"
print(a)
b = a:fred()
print(b)

Which does work. It has added a method to the string object and an instance of a string has picked up the method. I thought that it would also work for tables also