2009/1/7 Sam Roberts <vieuxtech@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Evan DeMond <evan.demond@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Mike Panetta <panetta.mike@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
[...]
>>> The ability to override the basic operations (keywords) supported by a
>>> language is one of the keys to true OOP.
>>
>> I don't really follow this point. Not encapsulation, inheritance, and
>> polymorphism?
>
> Only on a lua list could the OP call python, C++, and Java "not true
> OOP" without starting a flame war. :-)
>
> Keywords aren't overrideable in many languages, python included.
[...]

Of course, anyone who has really listened to any of Alan Kay's words
(such as on [1] or [2]) would know that C++, Java, and Python really
are *not* true OO ;-) At least not in the sense that he meant when he
coined the phrase. According to him, being able to redefine a language
from within itself *is* key. If you've seen any of his presentations,
and taken a look at what he's done and is doing [3], you'll have to
agree he has a point.

[1] http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2950949730059754521
[2] http://www.vimeo.com/1503181
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Kay