Thanks for that! Truly there is nothing new under the sun (or the moon for
that matter!).

Your code has given me some useful pointers, including that my copying from
the stack to the constants array in the prototype may be over-complicated. I
was paranoid about not screwing up the memory management/garbage collection
and was worried about a simple copy like this:

f->k[i]=L->base[2];

Is this really safe? Even for a string? How does the garbage collector know
about this reference?