Mark Hamburg wrote:
> * How expensive is it to generate the closures that this sort of style
> promotes?

I'd guess that the closures are nothing compared with the file handler itself.

> * Are the cases where we need to do this sufficiently rare that they
> are simply the job of the library writer or are they going to be
> common enough and ad hoc enough that library writers are unlikely to
> cover them all?

I'd love to see a generic Lua mechanism for this; but maybe just a couple of
helping functions in the C API would make this features easy to add for
library writers.  after all, finalization is mostly an issue for expensive non-
Lua objects.

--
Javier