On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 02:33:06AM +0800, KHMan wrote:
> In the early days Microsoft used to make an effort to have a level of
> POSIX compatibility, for US government contract compliance IIRC,

The old POSIX compatibility that they provided back in the NT days
probably wouldn't help.  It was walled off in its own little
subsystem.  POSIX applications had no access to Win32, DLLs,
networking, memory-mapping, pipes, sockets, or pretty much any other
system resource -- making it essentially useless, except perhaps as a
checkbox on purchase requirements:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/149902

> but I doubt they bother to conform or track the standards any more.

Their C compiler and runtime definitely do not track C99, and on
several occasions the compiler team has stated outright that they
don't have anything in the works to fix this.  For example from
November:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=375930

Microsoft also has the "Services for Unix" package, which may have a
runtime with at least much better POSIX conformance.  It was
originally a 3rd party product called "Interix", designed to make it
easy to get Unix applications running on Windows.  I believe it's free
to download _but_ it only runs on specific versions of Windows:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/interopmigration/bb380242.aspx

                                                  -Dave Dodge