> [1] http://lua-users.org/wiki/LocalByDefault

This is excactly what I was looking for. Thanks for that.

And thanks for all the other answers! I appreciate your patience
explaining a matter that came already up so many times.

Just to defend myself: I did the googling thing. Really. But most
discussions go immediately  in to detail, and for a beginner like me a
page like http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaScopingDiscussion is more
confusing than helping.