 >>  >> 1) to be compatible with
 >>  >>    http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap12.html#tag_12_02
 >>
 >> > Ah, right.  These are guidelines only, thus something that does not
 >> > follow them is not unPOSIXy.
 >>
 >> Not exactly.

> By "something" I mean a command line tool.  The bit of the
> specification you quote says that a system's implementation of getopt()
> must follow the guidelines, not that each application must.

Most applications written in C use system getopt(3) or getopt_long(3)
and therefore follow these guidelines. These guidelines show how
applications usually work, not only standardized `cat', `cut', `grep'
etc. and I think apps written in Lua shell follow these rules too
_by default_ just like all C application. Unfortunately I don't see
such module for Lua.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.