Yes, this and/or CUDA.

What would be required is a matrix handling system, where iteration code can be run on the GPGPU as Lua. In other words, just making a wrapper on top of OpenCL/CUDA API is clearly not enough.

This will be on my radar in 2009. But before doing any development on OpenCL they need to make it ready.

Hopefully, I will be able to integrate all this with Lanes, making multithreading with Lua even more powerful. :)

As to

Rob Kendrick wrote:
I'm having trouble imagining a situation where there'd be a significant
performance boost from running an interpreted general-purpose language
on your GPU, though. They're really only any good at highly parallel
workloads.

One scenario is meteorological data analysis, where non-linear operations are run for huge data matrices. In this case, we would be able to define the operations as Lua codelets, and run them parallel on the data. I guess only Lua of the current scripting languages (and Forth) would be small enough to effectively fit in on the CUDA/OpenCL. Even there, some limitations s.a. no recursive calls may be too much. But we'll see.

-asko

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:47:10 +1300