Hi,

But you can't get much done if you can't add your own
descriptors to its select loop. Assignment #1 in my first
OS course long ago was to write a simple talk
implementation, selecting on stdin and a socket
descriptor. Its pretty much the simplest of socket
programming examples, but you can't implement this with
luasocket's documented API?

Because it has to be portable. I.e., sockets are not file
descriptors on Windows. I don't particularly like this
design decision, but my opinion is not going to change.
Take a look at the cygwin source code and look at the
trouble they have to go through to simulate the behavior you
want.

Great, so I guess my sockext lib is doing the following right, by
always returning false.

Probably.

Regards,
Diego