> =tonumber"05D34306"
1.#INF

It's a float-overflow.
On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 18:35, Dave Nichols <dave.nichols@make247.co.uk> wrote:
I've upgraded to 5.1.4 and its the same and its windoze, so your analysis must be correct. It took me by surprise. I was using tonumber() to distinguish strings from numbers (being lazy) and this string '05D34306' converted to a number (which displayed as 1.#INF). My script then collapsed.

Peter Cawley wrote:
Lua uses the C library function strtod to convert strings to numbers.
Some CRT implementations only permit 'e' and 'E' to be used to begin
the exponent (i.e. as described on
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdlib/strtod.html ),
while others permit 'e', 'E', 'd' or 'D' to be used (i.e. the MSVC CRT
described on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kxsfc1ab(VS.71).aspx
)