On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:42 AM, Asko Kauppi <askok@dnainternet.net> wrote:

> To me, this sounds like a thing LuaRocks should be inclined to take on.
>
> Actually, it might already do such; can we just throw .c to it and it will
> build things the "right" way?
>
> Any LuaRocks guru, please comment. :)

I'm not guru, but luarocks can indeed be used to build lua extensions
the right way on supported platforms when using the "builtin" build
type in your rockspec. See 'Creating a rock'[1] on the luarocks wiki
for an example. You may also be interested in 'recommended practices
for Makefiles'[2], also on the luarocks wiki. I use this build type
for my projects[3], so users won't need to edit a Makefile with the
right linker options, lua paths etc if they have luarocks installed.

Alex

[1]: http://luarocks.org/en/Creating_a_rock
[2]: http://luarocks.org/en/Recommended_practices_for_Makefiles
[3]: http://github.com/asb/lua-discount/tree/master/lua-discount-dev-1.rockspec