Have you done anything to insure that something squirrely in your system.X functions (I assume they were written in C?) is not what is causing the issue somehow?

The code you posted seems pretty benign to me.  In fact it does not show any interaction with "cel" at all...  Where is the code that manipulates the "cel" variable?

Mike