When I first tried Lua, I used it as an embedded language to extend an app
that I thought would be heavily customised.  After a few iterations, more and
more of the app was written in Lua; everything that remained in C was a
launcher and libraries to access a few services.

All my other Lua projects have been standalone Lua; when I need to access some
external resource or library, the easiest way is to write a binding library.
Usually, I try to make those generic enough to be usefull for other projects.
For the first time in more than 20 years programming, I could really reuse
code between projects, instead of copying and readapting it.  That alone has
make me a better programmer.

The other wonderfull aspect of Lua is the language design.  It's minimalistic
yet very complete, each aspect is well thought to make it a coherent whole
instead of a mashup of nice-to-have features (like Python!).

I've always thought that code can be beautiful, but it was so rare to see it
happen. With Lua I feel that it can always look good, and at the end, it
usually does!

--
Javier