Florian Weimer wrote:
> The FSF position with regard to some bytecode interpreters (Emacs, for
> instance) is that the GPL extends to the bytecode

The reason for this is "boiler-plate" which is embedded in the
byte-code. FSF maintains (and correctly so) that when the byte-code
contains GPL'ed boiler-plate code without which it would not work, it is
a derivative of the GPL'ed code. Note that this only applies to "some"
bytecode interpreters, and these are ones that originate under the GPL
*and* have substantial "boilerplate" code embedded by the compiler.

There are a couple of things to remember:

   1. Lua is not GPL-licensed. It's license is GPL compatible, and hence
      can be included in GPL applications, but the terms it's copyright
      terms are still MIT
   2. Lua "bytecode" can originate from non-GPL compilers (obviously,
      standard "luac" comes to mind), as such the bytecode is not
      covered by GPL as "derived" by a GPL-compiler
   3. Provided the game engine being worked on could accept alternate
      bytecode, graphics, audio, etc - the GPL'd application is an
      "engine" with the Lua bytecode, sound files, etc as "content" that
      can come packaged with the GPL application as an "amalgamated
      distribution" - in other words, the content need not be GPL to
      comply with the GPL license.

It is still my strong opinion (though I am not a lawyer), that
distributing Lua bytecode with a GPL application is covered by the
amalgamation terms of the GPL license and as such one could make a GPL
game engine with alternately licensed content.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt
Analyst Programmer
Mob:   0417 456 505
Email: btolputt@bigpond.net.au

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
intended recipient and may be privileged. If you have received this
email inadvertently or you are not the intended recipient, you may not
disseminate, distribute, copy or in any way rely on it. Further, you
should notify the sender immediately and delete the email from your
computer. Whilst we have taken precautions to alert us to the presence
of computer viruses, we cannot guarantee that this email and any files
transmitted with it are free from such viruses.