On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Mike Pall wrote:

>   Input arguments to bit operations are reduced to a 32 bit integer
>   by taking their least-significant 32 bits.
[snip]

Is there some reason why this couldn't be an unsigned 32 bit
integral number?  Granted, bitwise operations don't really care
and I can see how an implementation using an existing signed int
framework would be attractive, but from an application developer
perspective I think unsigned is the less surprising
interpretation.  Unsigned masks are after all by far more common.

Cheers,

Joonas