Mike Pall wrote:
 [...]
 lea edx, [ebx+esi]
 mov eax, edx
 xor eax, ebx
 mov esi, ecx
 [...]

I've been trying to figure out how jit 2.x manages to reduce numbers in this instance to integers. I can see that the band/bxor could guarantee that the numbers fit in the range, but the additions? The table access? Quite amazed. Is this some kind of combination of static range analysis with overflow exceptions? I really have no idea.

And pleased to see I'm not the only one that's been curious about speeding up lua sub string equality testing.

- Alex