Alexander Gladysh wrote:

> I need an embeddable editor control which I would drive with
> Lua by my own unusual ways.
>
> I'd rather teach some unambitious edit control new tricks than
> struggle with full-blown IDE to behave against its nature.

Perhaps the edit control from Fox-Toolkit or FLTK might
better suit your needs. The FLTK control is derived from
an early version of the famous "NEdit" text editor.

The Fox control is AFAIK written from scratch, and the
"Adie"  text editor that comes with Fox might be a nice
starting point, it's a fairly complete editor in around
4000 lines of code.

There's also something called "GtkSourceView" but of course
that requires GTK, which is a rather large dependency for
systems that don't already use it. The nice thing about
FLTK or Fox is that they are lightweight enough to be
statically linked, so you won't need a bunch of extra
libraries installed if you distribute a pre-compiled
version of your editor.

http://fltk.org/
http://fox-toolkit.org/
http://projects.gnome.org/gtksourceview/