Well, one way would be to integrate Lua with the CLIPS expert system shell:

http://www.mikekreuzer.com/luaClips.htm

Refreshingly different from if-then-else, but something of a learning
curve; CLIPS also involves its own specialized LISP-like language.

I too would be interested in some more lightweight options for
specifiying facts and rules, which integrates better with Lua.

steve d.